Thursday, March 24, 2011

Monarch! - Sortilège



This year I had the opportunity to see Monarch! live for the second time as they toured Australia in 2011. And although I have no idea if they played the same set or not due to their guitarist passing out mid show the first time they toured here back in 2009, I did have the opportunity to buy this new release.

It was the same price as all the other merchandise full length CD's on the table, and considering how much of a fan I am of Monarch, I quickly purchased the CD without asking any questions. It wasn't until I was home and had put the CD into my computer that I found out this was not a full length but a single (or an EP as Encyclopaedia Metallum seems to consider it).

The track is not much longer than ten minutes and is in my opinion, a completely new direction for Monarch. While the release is still definitely drone doom, it is no longer sludge influenced but dark ambient. If there was any way to compare it, I would say this song is to Monarch, what "A Shaving of the Horn That Speared You" is for Sunn O))). A dark, eerie and almost haunting journey from the start of the song to the end. Unlike Sunn O)))'s song however, this song requires your full attention. If one was to put this album on and have it as background music for whatever activity one is up to, the song will be over before you know it and you'll barely even realise you were hearing it. However, once you pay attention to it you'll hear the feedback slowly creeping up in volume, shifting in sound as it suddenly becomes accentuated by the drums that step in and start a repetitous beat that continues for most of the song. The bass and guitar feedback move about each other and then the vocals come in, sounding as though they are being yelled from a great distance away. The song builds itself up at an incredibly slow and steady pace without really requiring any change at all. Once it reaches it's climax the drum pattern changes to something yet more simple again, and the diminuendo begins to gradually pace itself towards the end of the song.

I wouldn't say I prefer this release over their earlier work. I wouldn't say I prefer their earlier work over this one either. It stands on it's own, as a unique creation by Monarch. Had I known that this release would only hold a single eleven minute long song, I still would have bought it. And not only for the music either, the album art is exceptional. On the front cover is an image of a Devil's Curse being acted out in silver, black and white. Inside is some forest photography and a series of lit candles burning along with the band members named in simple font. While on the back is more candles, heathen skulls and people standing around. All in all artwork and the music go hand in hand, each perfectly resembling the other.

All in all this is a very tasteful release that is well worth owning and having in any drone doom fan's collection.



Download@Mediafire

Band Merch

No comments:

Post a Comment